1. Gather your dry ingredients and add them to a medium bowl, whisking until combined.
2. Stir in your melted butter until the mixture takes on a crumbly consistency.
3. Combine your sliced apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar.
4. Try not to get frustrated when transferring your mixture into a baking dish and spreading it into an even layer.
5. Notice that you are clearly frustrated and retrieve your mother for assistance.
6. Get even more frustrated when your mother insists on negating this recipe and using her own techniques.
7. Try to keep your voice down as your argument swiftly spirals into your mother bringing up your poor decision-making from your youth and how you never helped out enough.
8. Understand the repercussions of snapping back that your mother always paid more attention to your older sibling anyways.
9. Feel some form of shame when your mother brings herself to the verge of tears as
she instantly feels she has failed as a mother.
10. Apologize profusely even though there is a pinching feeling on the back of your
tongue to blurt, “You started it.”
11. Give your mother a warm embrace before she leaves for her afternoon walk as you feel slightly annoyed but also appreciative of everything your mother does, knowing that her intense love for you doesn’t always directly translate.
12. Let cool for 15 minutes to allow the filling to thicken.